Thursday, April 3, 2014

Thankful Thursday #2 - Our Garden


Thankful Thursday is my day to focus on and be thankful for the good things in my life.  

My husband is the gardener in the family.  I am very thankful for his hard work every year.  This year, he built a wonderful plant stand so that we can grow everything in containers.  It's also easier to work with (no bending over), no weeds (yet), and less bugs (we hope).  So far, so good. 


He's planted a dozen different vegetables and they are doing really well.  Just look at the lettuce (growing on the far end) :  


Lettuce - we planted two varieties, plus spinach

I just snip the leaves off with the scissors, and in a day or two, a whole new batch is ready to harvest.  I love it!  


Harvest - Thank You Father!


The darker green in the picture are onion tops.  I do the same thing with them...just snip off what I need, and they keep on growing. 

We've been experimenting with gardening for about five years, and believe me, it is a learning curve.  Our soil here in Florida is very sandy.  The bugs are a big problem.  The heat is tremendous.  On the positive side, though, we have a growing season all year long.  

Growing food has made me very thankful for the farmers.  Until I started growing food, I took them for granted.  

Ultimately, I have to thank G-d.  We can't make our vegetables produce.  Only Adonai has that power. To make a seed sprout and produce food is a miracle.  Everything we have comes from His loving hands.

What are you thankful for today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I'm sharing this post at:

Spiritual Sunday
Let's Get Social Sunday

Modest Mom Monday Link-up 

A Wise Woman Builds
Whole Hearted Wednesday 
Wake Up Wednesday
Whimsical Wednesday

Hearts for Home
Favorite Things 

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful garden and what a fabulous idea that gardening stand is!!

    I'm visiting from A Wise Women Builds Her House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first year I'm seriously thinking of planting a garden...a small garden...thanks for the inspiration to start. Now, it would help if it would stop snowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening is quite an adventure. I hope spring arrives soon for you and that you have a blessed, thriving garden. The internet has so much great information and inspiration to help us.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Come back again soon, and let me know how your garden grows.


      Delete
  3. You know, my husband and I were just talking about our deck bins and what we would plant in them this year. We tried the veggis last year - planting a variety of things that didn't really do well at all - except for the mixed salad greens. They just kept growing - but I never cut them - so they went to seed. Gah! Wasn't sure what to do - and I never ate anything that I grew before. So, there we were buying the organic triple washed at the grocery store while we had a deck bin full. I know there's a spiritual lesson there - a metaphor for growth. And, I mean - growing something other than salad greens! South Jersey is famous for farmland - but my thumb is not so green. Your gardens look amazing! A blessing worthy of thanksgiving to be sure!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many spiritual lessons to learn through growing food. Hashem is always speaking.

      Like you, my thumb is not green. Actually, it is black. Plants cringe when I come near....so I let my sweet husband take care of them. I call him Mr. Green Jeans. You have to be old to know who he was.

      Thanks for stopping by, dear Kathryn.

      Blessings to you and your garden,
      GG

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.