Friday, April 24, 2015

Thankful Thursday - Sentimentality






Years ago, one of my art teachers accused me of being sentimental because of the subjects I chose to draw and paint.  I didn't think it was something to disdain, so I continue to be hopelessly sentimental to this day.  I had a sentimental journey this week, as a matter of fact. We were blessed to visit my old stomping grounds of Jacksonville, in northeast Florida.  

The photo above is taken from the Ortega Bridge on the west side of the city, and has a nice view of the downtown skyline.  I love riding the roads of my memories, and this spot is one of my favorites.  I've spent many hours here writing, praying, meditating, and listening to G-d's voice.  

While in the neighborhood, we saw a nursery with hundreds of flowering plants for sale, so I just had to stop and take photos.  We also brought back some new ones for our yard.  Sorry I don't know the names of these, but aren't they joy giving?




We stopped in at my happy place, the Chamblin Book Mine.  This place is book lover's dream, and I've written about it in previous posts.  They sell used and new books in a grocery store sized building, with shelves from floor to ceiling and boxes of overflowing books lining the aisles.  It's worth the visit if you're ever near Jacksonville.  They do trades, so we always take some for credit on our next purchase.  I love this place!  See how happy I am?




Rabbi Jem is collecting adventure type books for our grandson, and he was tickled to add a couple of new ones to his collection.  I found a Susan Branch cookbook for my own stash.  I love her artwork, and am working at collecting all of her titles.   

I couldn't resist taking a picture of Jem and this sign.  How creepy is it to have a "horror" room?  You'd be amazed by how many books were in this section.  It reminded me of the Scripture, "All who hate me love death."  I want no part of it.


We stopped by mama's place to check on things, and I saw this happy little patio.  Isn't it inviting?   The lady who lives there is very creative and hospitable.  I enjoyed a visit with her.




Back at home, the Confederate jasmine is blooming, and the scent is so sweet.  Couple that with the orange blossoms in our area, and you have a purely heavenly perfume.



My cranberry hibiscus is also in bloom for the first time.  I bought the plant because of the medicinal properties of the leaves, not knowing it had such lovely flowers.  What a happy surprise.  



Our tomatoes are coming out.  This one will be a big beauty, if the bugs don't get it.  Farming is not easy, Gail-Friends.  Growing vegies has made me very thankful for the farmers.  



This week, I am very thankful for the strength of the L-rd.  My life has been super busy lately.  I'm also walking through the shadow of death.  My mother is eighty-four and in a nursing home near us.  She is declining rapidly, both mentally and physically.  Seeing her slip away is sad, and I constantly cling to Psalm 23: 

"Yea, though I walk through valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil.
His rod and His staff (the Word and Spirit) comfort me." 

His promise is real, Gail-Friends.  I don't know how people go through hard times without His love.

What are you thankful for this week?

Thankful Thursday is my day to focus on and be thankful for the good things in my life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 



I'm sharing this post with some of my friends at :
Jennifer Dukes Lee Tell His Story
Lyli at Thought Provoking Thursdays at 3D Lessons 4Life
Hope in Every Season Homemaking Party
Laura on Faith Filled Friday at Missional Women
Fellowship Fridays at Christian Mommy Blogger
Charlotte at Spiritual Sundays
My Fresh Brewed Life with Barbie – Weekend Brew

11 comments:

  1. I'm thankful you found your way out of the bookstore to share your photos with us. They would still be looking for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for your Mother and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! My dear Gail-Friend! You captured me at the outset with the whole idea of a get away to a happy place. I sooooo need one of those. Both Ed and I are in desperate need of vacation time. We visit my grand-girl in New England the end of June--but so much still to walk through in the next two months. Your flowers are stunning and the bookshop is a dream! And, yes--I have never understood the fascination people have with the horror genre or this edginess that seems to be a part of so much contemporary television and movies. I seek the pastures of our Shepherd--green and refreshing and filled with His good things and life. May you know His comforts as you walk through this season with your mom. It will be 11 years this summer for me bidding farewell to my own dear mother. Seems like yesterday.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet, comforting visit today, Kathryn. And I hope you get a nice get-away soon.

      Delete
  4. Your photos are just beautiful! I so enjoyed them this morning & am glad I stopped from Sunday Stillness. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by today, Joanne, and come back real soon.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures. They are so pretty to look at. I enjoyed reading what you are thankful for. I post a Thankful Friday post every week, and do the same thing, focus on the things during the week that I am grateful for. Linking up from Spirtual Sundays. Looking forward to what you share next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so nice to meet a kindred spirit, Michelle. I'll stop by your place, too. It is a good discipline to focus on the good things, especially when walking through a dark valley. I've found that I have so very much to be thankful for, that it's hard to narrow it down each week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very lovely post you have shared. I am glad I stopped by. I have been away from Spiritual Sunday for a long while and have missed seeing the beautiful and encouraging people. I love the flowers and books are a passion of mine. Thank you for sharing it all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.