Thursday, September 28, 2017

Thankful Thursday - Serenity


As I looked through my photos taken over the last couple of weeks, this one stands out as my favorite.  When I saw this car in a parking lot, I just had to take a picture.  What a great message, both for the driver, and for those who see the message.  I'm so thankful for serenity in my life.  To me, the word means peace, which I prize and pursue. 

I saw the car twice in the last week, and each time it's reminded  me of this well-known prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr, and I say it often:

 God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, 
Courage to change the things I can, 
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

For many years, I felt there wasn't much I couldn't change.  I often said of myself, "I'm a find-a-way, make-a-way woman."  I had lots of courage, too.  It's in my senior years that I've come to realize that wisdom is the key.

Some things are better left to God to change.  There have been many times when what I thought should happen, and worked to make happen, were best left alone.  What I think is the best thing can turn out to be the worst thing.  By the same token, what I think is the worst thing that could happen can turn out to be the very best.  Amazing how acceptance works.

So, I've learned to let go and let God guide me.  Sometimes I have practiced acceptance.  Other times I have to ask Him for courage to change myself or the situation.  It sounds so simple. . . but it's not easy for a strong-willed woman like me.

Here are a few more things I'm thankful for this week:

A vibrant, colorful sailboat





My friend Barbara's cat who had to be right in the middle of our craft project.  I love cats, especially if they belong to someone else.

I thought this sign was so funny. 




I have a friend that I call "Martha" because she's just like her.  I don't have a mother-in-law, but I can imagine what it would be like to have to deal with Ms. Stewart's perfectionism.  I'm thankful that I no longer worry about what people think of my house-keeping skills.  My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy.

This week, I'm thankful to have run across this poem that I remember from long ago. It expresses my sentiments exactly because there's nothing like being out in nature to lift my spirits.

 
Thanks to Little Birdie Blessings on Facebook for sharing it

Thankful Thursday is my day to focus on 
and be thankful for all of the good things in my life.   
********
I sometimes share my posts with these friends: 

Spiritual Sundays     GRAND Social      Modest Mom Monday Link-up      The Art of Homemaking Mondays
   BLOGGING GRANDMOTHERS LINK PARTYTitus 2 Tuesday       TITUS TUESDAYS @CORNERSTONE CONFESSIONS    Share Your Cup Wednesday Wordless Wednesdays    Classical Homemaking Link-Up        Favorite Things Home and Garden Thursday at Delightsome Life  Paula's Weekend No Rules Blog Party Friendship Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.