Thursday, March 10, 2011

For Such a Time as This


Perhaps you’ve heard the phrase “for such a time as this” and wondered where it came from.   The saying is from the Biblical book of Esther, and is associated with the Jewish holiday of Purim.  Esther 9:21 tells us this festival is to be observed yearly.  Each year, we remember that G-d placed Hadassah (Esther) in place to save her people from destruction.   She was willing to take the risk and follow what G-d laid on her heart to say and do.  The book of Esther says she was born “for such a time as this”. 

Each year, we celebrate Purim with family and friends at Ma’gen Da’vid Messianic Synagogue.  Purim is also called the holiday of joy and it is traditional to dress up, and be merry while remembering how the Jews of Persia narrowly escaped annihilation thanks to the bravery of Queen Esther.  

Last year, my husband, Rabbi Jem, dressed up as “the oldest rabbi of Israel” complete with a long, grey beard, and read the story of Esther. He was a BIG hit with the children.



Queen Esther aka Amanda
The children in our congregation also dressed in costumes and thoroughly enjoyed making lots of noise while the book was read.  It is traditional to "boo" when the villain’s name, Haman, is read, and to cheer loudly when the hero’s names, Esther and her uncle, Mordechai, are mentioned.  One of our talented Ma'gen Da'vid family painted this wonderful depiction of Queen Esther that the children could put their faces through and have a picture made.  (My daughter, Amanda, had to join the fun!)


Like Esther, each year I am reminded that G-d wants to use me, too, and that we are all born for a purpose: G-d’s purpose.  Personally, this holiday inspires me to stand up and speak for G-d when He gives me the opportunity.

I had just such an opportunity within a few days after Purim last year, when I met a Jewish man at a local fundraiser.  The young man related a story about a horrible wreck he’d recently survived.  With a cracking voice and tears in his eyes, he said, “I don’t know why G-d saved me alive.  Is it just to work day after day as a truck driver?”

G-d spoke very clearly to me at that moment:   Gail, you are here tonight for such a time as this - to tell him that Yeshua (Jesus) is the Messiah.

Trembling, I spoke softly, “I believe G-d saved you alive so that you and I could have this conversation right now.  He wants me to tell you that Yeshua is the Messiah.”

“I just can’t believe a holy and mighty G-d could come to earth in human form”, he said sincerely. 

“My husband, Rabbi Jem, escaped death miraculously like you, and he asked that same question of G-d:  why didn’t I die?  That burning question led him to search for G-d, and it led him to accept Yeshua as the Messiah.” As I spoke those last words, we were interrupted and the conversation with him ended. 

G-d had me there at just the right time to answer his question.  I pray for him, and I believe He will one day find the wonderful peace of knowing Yeshua as his Messiah.  Like Esther, I know G-d used me in that man’s life “for such a time as this”.

******
Purim will be celebrated on March 20 this year.  I'll let you know about the fun we have and post some pics.

Shalom and blessings to ya'll.

Linking up to Spiritual Sundays
Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!
linking up to:  Weekend Bloggy Reading

9 comments:

  1. Purim is a special time. A time when your story gets turned upside down! I could use a little of that! Esther is one of my favorite books of the Bible. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. being jewish we celebrate purim and are very familiar with its fun traditions. That's great you guys celebrate it. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special post this is. I have always loved the story of Esther and see so many lessons to be learned there. Thank you for sharing this special blessing with us.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I would love to attend! I look forward to your pictures soon. Yes, you perhaps planted a seed, it will be watered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like the children had fun. The pictures are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, for such a time as this...obedience to the spirit...
    Rene
    THANK YOU for the sweet anniversary wishes...we had a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "For such a time as this" has rung in my ears so many times, too. Such a blessing to know that God ordains our days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For such a time as this" has been a scripture that has spoken to me, too. How wonderful that God uses us to advance his kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post!!! I've never met a Messianic Rabbi before...very, very cool to read about you and your husband and you shared your faith!

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.