Monday, October 3, 2016

Shanah Tovah - Happy 5777





Shanah Tovah - to you, Gail-Friends


Last evening, we held our Rosh Hoshanah service. To learn more about this Jewish holiday, read my previous post HERE.

So much was happening last night, that I forgot to take pictures until almost the end, so I only have a few to share with you.  Below is Rabbi Jem parading theTorah.




 During the Torah parade, we sang Ancient Words, 
remembering how precious His Word is to us.


 At the end of the service, everyone blows the shofar (if they have one).  I grabbed my phone camera, and was able to record just a snippet.  Our synagogue members, David and LaVonne, bought toy shofars for all of the children.  You can hear them on the video:




I hope you can hear this.  I have to laugh, because it sounds like roosters crowing.  Then I realized it is prophetic !  
They are saying, 
"WAKE UP ! ! !  It's time to obey ADONAI, and walk in His ways."   YES ! !  ! 


We enjoyed the beautiful, round and fruit-filled challah, made by one of our  members.



After the service, we had a wonderful time of food and fellowship, enjoying apples and honey. These are traditional foods for Rosh Hashanah and 
symbolize our prayers for a sweet new year.





Rosh Hashanah lasts for two days, and is followed by the ten days of awe.  During that time, we examine our lives in light of His commandments, and make right any relationships that are strained. We do this in preparation for the next holiday -- Yom Kippur. Since this is a time of introspection, I will not be posting until after October 11.  

Rabbi Jem and I pray you have a blessed holiday, and a sweet new year.

Shanah Tovah


******************

metimes share my posts  with  friends at: 


Spiritual Sundays      THE SUNDAY COMMUNITY – #GIVE ME GRACE @SEE SPEAK HEAR MAMA Kathy’s Return to Loveliness at A Delightsome Life     GRAND Social       The Beauty in His Grip Link-Up   


MOTIVATION MONDAYS – @EMBRACINGHISWILL      SHARING HIS BEAUTY – @THEBEAUTYINHISGRIP
Classical Homemaking Link-Up    Judith’s Wholehearted Wednesday     Raising Homemakers Wednesday     A Wise Woman Builds       Wake Up Wednesday     A Little R & R Wednesday     Wednesday's Prayer Girls & Link-Up Party Thought Provoking Thursdays at 3D Lessons 4Life     Thursday  Favorite Things 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing about these Jewish traditions and special days! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this in the GRAND Social. I'm Christian (Lutheran, to be precise), yet Jewish traditions have always intrigued me. I sincerely appreciate reading this and seeing your lovely celebration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.