Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Mushy Mother's Day

I always get mushy on Mother's Day because I love being a mother. When I was about five years old, I asked my mother, "Mama, do you have to be married to have children?" She said, "No." I said, "That's what I want to do." I loved babies, even at that young age, and knew I wanted to be a mother. Other little girls I knew wanted to be nurses or ballerinas. I always said I wanted five children.

When I married at 17, I wanted children right away, but had to wait a while. I lost a baby through miscarriage four years later, and it broke my heart. My first daughter, Melissa, was born when I was 22 and I'll never forget my first glimpse of her. I felt she was an angel dropped straight from heaven. I loved being a stay at home mom, and kept her looking like a living doll every minute of her life, decked out in bows and ruffles galore. I rocked her to sleep every night of her life till she was six years old. In the mornings, and after her naps, I used to stand by her bed, hoping she'd wake up so I could hold her and play with her. She was an easy child to raise and never gave me any problems. Her happy, outgoing nature led her to never meet a stranger and light up a room just by walking in it. Melissa was and is to this day a joy, and I thank God for giving her to me.

Amanda, my second and last child, came along when Melissa was six. Her first year was rough, with sickness and several trips to the hospital. I don't think she slept through the night till she was six years old. Instead of praying she'd wake up, I prayed for sleep - for both of us. I look like a drunk in most of her baby pictures, always from lack of sleep. Amanda was a challenge to raise with her strong will and determination. Many days I cried because of having to discipline her "one more time" for the same disobedience. But, she turned out great! That strong will was channelled into artistic creativity and after that, I just had to hang on to her coat-tails and enjoy the ride. She, too, is a joy, I am so thankful for her!

As a young mother, I read a book that asked me to write down my goals. I couldn't think of one. My goals were met: I had two beautiful children. What more could I want? As I seriously considered this question and prayed about it, I did set some new goals.

I prayed to be able to afford to stay at home with my girls without working outside the home. God helped me have a home-based business, and then part-time jobs for 27 years to accomplish that goal.

I prayed for my girls to accept, love, and obey Yeshua (Jesus Christ). Goal accomplished!

I prayed for my girls to marry godly men who would love them like Yeshua loves the church, and that they would be godly wives and mothers. Goal accomplished! My girls have wonderful husbands and are good wives who love their husbands and their homes. Amanda will celebrate her first Mother's Day this year, and she is such a good mother.

So, my heart is full this Mother's Day - my first as a "Grandmother"! I love my little grandson, Jonathan, so much, and cherish every moment with him, my girls, and my sons-in-love. I love them like my own. I even reached my goal of five children - my girls plus their husbands, and now Jonathan - that makes five! Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.