Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Wisdom Wednesday #12 - Happy Mothers




 
We are almost to the end of Proverb 31, and today our focus is on:
        
ק 28 Her children arise; they make her happy; (The Complete Jewish Bible)
     
Since I did not convert to Messianic Judaism until eight years ago, my daughters were not reared that way.  They were reared in the church, and our life revolved around church services and activities.

I thought you, Dear Gail-Friends would enjoy reading this piece, which I pretty much modeled as a mother while rearing my children. I found it decades ago, so I'm not sure who wrote it. I've heard that it came from Ann Lander's column in a newspaper.
***
The Meanest Mother in the World


"We had the meanest mother in the whole world! While other kids ate candy for breakfast, we had to have cereal, eggs, and toast. When others had a Pepsi and a Twinkie for lunch, we had to eat sandwiches. And you can guess our mother fixed us a dinner that was different from other kids had, too.

Mother insisted on knowing where we were at all times. You'd think we were convicts in a prison. She had to know who our friends were, and what we were doing with them. She insisted that if we said we would be gone for an hour, we would be gone for an hour or less.

We were ashamed to admit it, but she had the nerve to break the Child Labor Laws by making us work. We had to wash the dishes, make the beds, learn to cook, vacuum the floor, do laundry, and all sorts of cruel jobs. I think she would lie awake at night thinking of more things for us to do. She always insisted on us telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

By the time we were teenagers, she could read our minds. Then, life was really tough! Mother wouldn't let our friends just honk the horn when they drove up. They had to come up to the door so she could meet them. While everyone else could date when they were 12 or 13, we had to wait until we were 16.

Because of our mother, we missed out on lots of things other kids experienced. None of us have ever been caught shoplifting, vandalizing other's property, or ever arrested for any crime. It was all her fault. We never got drunk, took up smoking, stayed out all night, or a million other things, other kids did. Sundays were reserved for church, and we never missed once. We knew better than to ask to spend the night with a friend on Saturdays.

Now that we have left home, we are all God-fearing, educated, honest adults. We are doing our best to be mean parents just like Mom was. I think that's what is wrong with the world today. It just doesn't have enough mean moms anymore."
***

I get tickled every time I read this piece because it reminds me so much of myself.  My oldest daughter loves to tell her favorite story about her teenage years  She says, "When my friends talk about the music videos back in the 80's, I tell them I don't know about them because I was in prison. My mom didn't let me watch MTV."  I don't feel sorry for her one bit, and we laugh about it.  

So take heart, young mothers.  Your children might think you're mean while they are growing up, but that's okay.  I believe that if you keep on obeying G-d in rearing and teaching them, they will turn out to be good people.

Parenting is serious business, because we are shaping a man or woman for G-d's Kingdom.  One thing I always kept foremost in my mind was that I was not called to be their friend.  I was called to be their mother.  I was responsible to G-d for what I allowed in my home, and how I reared my daughters. 

We are friends now, but I am still responsible for my role as a mother in teaching and mentoring them when an opportunity presents itself.  I will be a mother until I pass away from this world. 

I prayed to conceive my children, and did my very best to rear them the way G-d desires.  I made plenty of mistakes, but they turned out well, and I'm very proud of them.  My greatest joy is to know that they are walking in obedience to Hashem.  Both of my daughters say I was a good mother, and that makes me very happy, just as verse twenty-eight says.  

Next week, we'll talk about the second part of the verse. 

***
I'm sharing this post at:

Spiritual Sunday

Let's Get Social Sunday

Modest Mom Monday Link-up 

A Wise Woman Builds
Whole Hearted Wednesday 

Hearts for Home
Favorite Things 

4 comments:

  1. Hi There, I am stopping by from Spiritual Sunday link. This is a very interesting post. I hope I will be bold enough to be a mean mom when time comes for me... :) Thank you for sharing this!

    Have a great weekend!!
    H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray you will have the courage and strength to be a mean mom. It is not easy, but I promise it is worth it. I know you will if you tap into His power.

    So glad you topped by today, and hope you'll come again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. I was the mean mom, too, and my daughters have thanked me for it. Many times I found a fun alternative when I had to say no.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.