Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Israel Trip - The Jesus Boat

After the trip across the Sea of Galilee, our boat docked on the shore of the Jesus Boat Museum.  The view from the land was beautiful even though the sky was overcast.  I felt at home with all the palm tress, since I'm a Florida girl.



In 1986, a boat was discovered in the deep mud along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, a few miles north of Tiberius. The story of this boat is fascinating, and I was excited to see it because I did not see it on my previous trip to Israel.  




Two fishermen discovered the boat and contacted Israeli archaeological authorities to have it retrieved.   The wood, while preserved very well by the silt, was extremely fragile.  Great time and care were taken to remove it and keep the boat intact so that it could be moved.  You can read more about this and see videos of the methods used at this link:  Jesus Boat

While there is no evidence Yeshua actually used this boat, the dating of the artifact places it during the period of his ministry 2000 years ago.  Study shows it to be the type of boat used either as a ferry or a fishing boat.  

I enjoyed imagining Yeshua and disciples going through a storm in a boat like this, although all of them certainly could not have been on this boat.  It made the whole story more vivid since I could see the boat, as well as the fact that I'd just endured a stormy crossing of the Sea of Galilee myself.  (you can read about it Here )

There were a few exhibits of some small  items found in the boat.   

We watched the movie about the discovery and moving of the boat, looked at the artifacts found during the excavation, and then toured the gift shop.  I bought some yarmulkes for the synagogue and some lily of the valley anointing oil for myself.  This was one of the best gift shops we saw on our trip, and I regret not buying more while there. I made the mistake of thinking I would find better prices later, but that was not the case.  The good thing is they have a website and I highly recommend them for purchasing Judaica items.   http://www.jesusboat.com/

Our next stop was the beautiful town of Capernaum where Yeshua began His ministry.  I'll tell you all about it in next week's post.

~~~~~~~~

I'm linking up today with:
 Spiritual Sunday
The Gathering Place Link-Up


Modest Mom Monday Link-up 








A Wise Woman Builds
Whole Hearted Wednesday 
Wake Up Wednesday
Whimsical Wednesday

Hearts for Home
Favorite Things 

Fab Creative Friday
Friendship Friday 
Freedom Friday

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME POST! I am a follower of Christ and I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed this post! I cannot wait to go to Israel someday! It's on my list of things to do! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you will travel there one day. Pray about it and see what happens. I have been twice, and desire to go again.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting today.
      It's nice to meet a Mama of 5 - I admire women with big families.
      Blessings,
      GiGi

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.