Sunday, December 27, 2015

My Bird Nerd Dream Came True


I've been praying to see a Florida Scrub Jay** for quite a long time.  Well, today we hit the jackpot.  We visited the Cruickshank Sanctuary for the second time this week, prepared with hiking shoes and sticks, bug spray, sunscreen, binoculars, and my good camera.  Jem always hikes ahead of me to scare away any snakes or other critters.



We walked about a mile along the trail through the palmetto and scrub.  It was hot (in the mid eighties) but a nice breeze was helping to keep us cool.  I was praying to see one of the elusive blue birds, when Jem spotted one and whispered, loudly, "I see one!"

I WAS SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, there were two, and they were not afraid of us in the least.  In fact, one of them perched on Jem's hat, and onto his walking stick.  Then, he hopped back onto the hat, perused the decorations and tried to removed the button on top.  He even pecked Jem's head a couple of times.

 




He loved it!  We were both talking and laughing and enJOYing this "bird blessing".  I got this beautiful shot and was praising the L-rd for answering my prayers. Remember, Gail-Friends, He told us to pray about everything, and I do.



After about ten minutes, we continued on the trail.  There were several more Scrub Jays, but none were as friendly as this one.  

We saw three gopher tortoises and an eagle's nest, but no eagle today.


Here's a gopher tortoise eating a mushroom.



We ran across this sign, and said a big hats-off to the troop that keeps the trail in such good shape.

I'm one happy bird nerd, and so thankful for my bird blessing today.  This quote is perfect for how G-d answered my prayer:

God's gifts put man's best dreams to shame.
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

** The Florida  Scrub Jay is an endangered species, and if their needs are met in a particular area, they will stay there all of their lives.  This sanctuary is 140 acres, and there are about 30 Scrub Jays living happily there.

***************

I sometimes share my posts  with  friends at: 
Charlotte a Spiritual SundaysSpiritual Sundays     Janis with Sunday Stillness       THE SUNDAY COMMUNITY – #GIVE ME GRACE @SEE SPEAK HEAR MAMA Kathy’s Return to Loveliness at A Delightsome Life     GRAND Social       The Beauty in His Grip Link-Up   



MOTIVATION MONDAYS – @EMBRACINGHISWILL      SHARING HIS BEAUTY – @THEBEAUTYINHISGRIP
Titus 2 Tuesday     Share Your Stuff Tuesday    TITUS TUESDAYS @CORNERSTONE CONFESSIONS     Wordless Wednesdays    Jennifer Dukes Lee Tell His Story  Teaching What Is Good Link-Up
A Hope in Every Season Homemaking Link-Up    Judith’s Wholehearted Wednesday     Raising Homemakers Wednesday     A Wise Woman Builds       Wake Up Wednesday     A Little R & R Wednesday     Wednesday's Prayer Girls & Link-Up Party Thought Provoking Thursdays at 3D Lessons 4Life     Thursday  Favorite Things 
STILL SATURDAYS @SANDRAHESKAKING     PLAYDATES @LAURABOGGESS  
 My Fresh Brewed Life with Barbie – Weekend Brew

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience! How fun it must have been to have that bird land on his head! Sure wish I had a 500mm lens as we have beautiful red tail hawks that sit in the top of the tree just a little bit out of range of my 300mm. Birds are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red tail hawks are so beautiful and interesting to watch. I hope you can get some photos of them.

      It really was above and beyond what I was praying for. I love taking pictures and my sweet husband is so good about helping me spotting.

      It's nice to meet another bird lover, and I hope you'll stop by again soon.

      Blessings,
      GG

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.