Thursday, February 4, 2016

Thankful Thursday - Quietness and Peace




I'm so thankful for books and. I must confess, I'm a hopeless book hoarder.  My husband is, too, so our home has them overflowing in every room. (Yes, the bathroom, too.)

One of my absolute favorites is Streams in the Desert, which I've used since 1976.  My first copy fell apart, and the one below is getting very worn.  Understandable, since I've used it daily since 1988. 



I love it, though, because I've made notes in the margins and on the inside of the covers.  It has become a kind of journal, really.  I especially love the poetry Mrs. Cowan included.  This one, about quietness, touched me this week:



 "He giveth quietness." O Elder Brother,
Whose homeless feet have pressed our path of pain,
Whose hands have borne the burden of our sorrow,
That in our losses we might find our gain.
Of all Thy gifts and infinite consolings,
I ask but this: in every troubled hour
To hear Thy voice through all the tumults stealing,
And rest serene beneath its tranquil power.
Cares cannot fret me if my soul be dwelling
In the still air of faith's untroubled day;
Grief cannot shake me if I walk beside thee,
My hand in Thine along the darkening way.
Content to know there comes a radiant morning
When from all shadows I shall find release,
Serene to wait the rapture of its dawning--
Who can make trouble when Thou sendest peace?

I don't know about you, Gail-Friends, but I prize quietness and peace in my life above everything.  I guess it's because the early years of my life were filled with drama of one kind or another.  I'm so thankful to have learned the value of quietness and peace, which I learned through trials that led me to treasure quiet, alone time with my Heavenly Father.

As a young woman, I would obsess over my problems for days.  My mind was like a hampster wheel, running over and over again.  But, over time I learned to focus on being still in a quiet place.  Usually, I'd sit outside on my porch and gaze at the trees.  I'd thank Him for the trees, the birds, and the clouds.  




Then, I'd read the Scriptures, usually the Psalms.  A verse would stand out to me, and I'd focus on it, reading it out loud over and over again.  Then, I'd write the verse in my journal.  Taking my mind off my problem and focusing on His Word filled my heart with the sweetest peace, because He was speaking to me through the Scriptures.   

I also learned to pray this prayer often:


In the beginning, my quiet time was short, maybe ten to fifteen minutes.  Over the years, the time expanded.  Now, I linger long, enjoying our time together so very much.  As I've clung to this process, I've found that every trial has brought me closer to Him and taught me things no one can ever take away.  Sitting still, talking to Him, reading the Scriptures, and listening to His voice can turn into hours filled with JOY.  Oh, how I love sitting at His feet.



Thankful Thursday is my day to focus on, and be thankful for, the good things in my life.  

**You can read my previous post about this devotional book at this link:  Sreams in the Desert 
and you can read this devotional on line at http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/desert/
You can even have it delivered to your phone daily



***************

  I sometimes share my posts  with  friends at: 
Charlotte a Spiritual SundaysSpiritual Sundays     Janis with Sunday Stillness       THE SUNDAY COMMUNITY – #GIVE ME GRACE @SEE SPEAK HEAR MAMA Kathy’s Return to Loveliness at A Delightsome Life     GRAND Social       The Beauty in His Grip Link-Up   




MOTIVATION MONDAYS – @EMBRACINGHISWILL      SHARING HIS BEAUTY – @THEBEAUTYINHISGRIP
Titus 2 Tuesday     Share Your Stuff Tuesday    TITUS TUESDAYS @CORNERSTONE CONFESSIONS     Wordless Wednesdays    Jennifer Dukes Lee Tell His Story  Teaching What Is Good Link-Up
Classical Homemaking Link-Up    Judith’s Wholehearted Wednesday     Raising Homemakers Wednesday     A Wise Woman Builds       Wake Up Wednesday     A Little R & R Wednesday     Wednesday's Prayer Girls & Link-Up Party Thought Provoking Thursdays at 3D Lessons 4Life     Thursday  Favorite Things 
STILL SATURDAYS @SANDRAHESKAKING     PLAYDATES @LAURABOGGESS  
 My Fresh Brewed Life with Barbie – Weekend Brew

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fellow book hoarder, but they are treasures, aren't they? I've never tried Streams in the Desert, but have heard that it's a good devotional resource. I guess it's time to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like that -- "treasure". Yes, they definitely are. I hope you will try Streams and let me know if you are blessed.
      Shalom,
      GG

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.