Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Upper Room

I am so excited! This week I received my copy of the July/August 2010 issue of Upper Room magazine. My article appears on page 48, and my photo is on the back cover. The article will also be online at www.upperroom.org/devotional on Saturday, August 10.

My prayer has always been to help people understand and draw closer to God through my writing. It is both exciting and humbling to know that people all over the world will be reading this story.

Writing for Upper Room is not easy because the articles are translated into over thirty languages. One must be very careful not to use phrases, words, and ideas that do not relate to those in other countries. For instance, in the first draft of one of my articles, I mentioned "snow-birds", referring to northerners who come to Florida in the winter. The editor said I must rewrite the article, removing those references, because people in other countries would not understand what a "snow-bird" is. Interesting, huh?

The writing for Upper Room must also be very tight. Every word on the page must total no more than 250 words. Believe me, I worked hard for that money. It feels good to reach this milestone, and I feel renewed excitement about working toward my other writing goals.

So, if you subscribe to Upper Room, look for my story, and let me know what you think. I hope you will be blessed and helped.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see the article! Way to go Gail!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.