Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Thankful Thursday - Vacation & Old Houses


We just returned from a week's vacation.  It was a bit of a whirlwind at times, Gail-Friends.  First stop was my happy place -- Chamblin Book Mine in Jacksonville, Florida.  I always go across my favorite bridge to see my favorite view.  I didn't find any books this trip, but hubby did.  We both love books, so stopping there is a treat.

We drove north on Highway 17 and into Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach, and then Brunswick, Ga.  The going was much slower than the interstate but much more enjoyable.  We saw lots of pretty old houses and ancient moss-covered oaks.


And lots of gingerbread houses, which I love.  This one's windows caught my eye.


Then we stopped in Charleston, SC.  We drove through, and I took a few photos from the car.  I love old houses, and this city is full of them.  Here are a few:



The blue flowers along the fence are plumbago, and it blooms for months here in the South.


Most of the homes along the bay have black wrought-iron fences, and I was fascinated by their beautiful gates.  The one above incorporated a trellis of vines.



More of those beautiful oaks.  I noticed that this one is sans moss, which is good because the moss eventually kills the trees.


I love the red mailbox inside the brick column.


Not many flowers blooming in Charleston in October, but these were a pleasure to see.  Here's a close-up view of this happy grouping.  I have some of these plants in the Golden Cottage Garden.


These steps and walls covered in green leaves are so pretty.


Porches are a recurring theme in the architecture of Charleston, as well as crepe myrtle trees (in the forefront of the photo).  These trees are in bloom all summer long, too, in pretty shades of pink, purple and white.  I have one in my yard, and it makes me so happy.


You know a grouping of birdhouses would catch my attention.  I have several of the white and green ones at Golden Cottage.


We spent the remainder of the day in Charleston visiting the Yorktown, an Essex-class aircraft carrier.  I'll share a few of those photos next week.  Then, it's on to Virginia where we did research for hubby's book.  I'll have some beautiful photos of the fall foliage in the mountains.  We visited eight states on this trip,  We also checked off an item on my bucket list -- a visit to the Biltmore Mansion in Ashville, NC.  I'll have lots of photos to share.

Thankful Thursday is my day to focus on and be thankful for all of the good things in my life.

****

I sometimes share my posts with these friends: 

Spiritual Sundays     GRAND Social      Modest Mom Monday Link-up      The Art of Homemaking Mondays
   BLOGGING GRANDMOTHERS LINK PARTYTitus 2 Tuesday       TITUS TUESDAYS @CORNERSTONE CONFESSIONS    Share Your Cup Wednesday Wordless Wednesdays    Classical Homemaking Link-Up        Favorite Things Home and Garden Thursday at Delightsome Life  Paula's Weekend No Rules Blog Party Friendship Friday


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.