Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Israel Trip - Bar Mitzvahs at the Western Wall




In my previous post, I mentioned it was Bar Mitzvah day at the Western Wall.  As we were touring the ruins adjacent to the area, we heard joyous music and drumming.  We could see parades of people heading toward the Temple Mount area.  There was singing, dancing, shouting and much loud rejoicing. The photo above is one of the drummers. 

The two photos below show the families waiting in line to go in.  Each group brought food to share with their party-goers while they waited.   Once a group was ushered to the front, the musicians would go back and bring forward another group.  Our tour guide said this goes on all day long.  

Note the separate entrances for men and women in the photo below.




The decorative kippahs on the men's heads and the gold trimmings on the man's jacket caught my eye.  So beautiful.

Once inside, the men and women must pray in separate areas.  There is a wall that divides, which you can see below.


As I waited in line to pray at the wall, I could see a boy celebrating his Bar Mitzvah on the other side.  He's standing in front of a large Hanukkah menorah  I would have loved to see it lit at night.
 
It was quite a joyful experience, and I'm glad we were there to see it all.  I took a video of the musicians, but it wasn't very good, so I thought I'd share this one I found on YouTube.  It's almost like being there.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.