Friday, August 3, 2018

Sabbath Music - Peace Like A River



 "The sound of the harp joins heaven and earth."

This quote is so true, and I love listening to harp music on Shabbat. 


On my first visit to the Holy Land in 1996, I visited the Harrari House of Harps in Jerusalem.  I was over the moon with JOY when I was invited to play one of their beautiful instruments.  After that JOY-filled experience, I prayed to be able to have my own harp, and God answered that prayer a few years back when I was given one.  I haven't taken lessons yet, but that is a goal!  Right now, I'm still learning the dulcimer.

I ran across some beautiful harp music over the past week and have enjoyed it immensely.  I've always been fascinated with the harp, and when I found this artist, Steve Rees, I was thrilled to see his videos made in Israel.


His rendition of  Peace Like A River is so very appropriate for Shabbat.  I love sitting by the river near my home, especially on Shabbat.  There's nothing that restores my soul like being by the water.  I remember singing this song in the little Baptist church of my childhood.  These are the lyrics:

When Peace Like A River

(from Hymnary.org)
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well with my soul,
it is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
let this blest assurance control,
that Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
and hath shed his own blood for my soul.
(Refrain)

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
(Refrain)

And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
the clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
the trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
even so, it is well with my soul.
(Refrain)



You may recognize this song as, "It Is Well."  They are one and the same, written by Horatio Spafford in 1873 after a horrible tragedy.  The story of how this hymn was written is very inspiring.  Spafford was well acquainted with grief, yet held to his faith in G-d through all of his hardships.  You can find the story HERE.  It's also interesting that he and his family became Messianics.  :)

I hope you have a worship-full, peace-full, and rest-full Sabbath, Gail-Friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.