Thursday, September 27, 2018

Thankful Thursday - Apple Roses Recipe


 As promised, I'm sharing my Apple Rose recipe that I made for Rosh Hashanah.  I saw this recipe on a video on Facebook and thought they were so pretty.  I think they turned out really well . . . but they were labor intensive to make.   The video made it look so easy, but it was not.

The first step was to cook the apples with some lemon juice and water.  Then they had to be drained and cooled.

The puff pastry needed to stay in the refrigerator until time to fill it, which is a very important point that I found out later. The counter was sprinkled with flour before I placed the pastry.

The next step was to put some apricot preserves down the middle of the pastry strip and sprinkle them with cinnamon.  Then I placed the apples, overlapping them slightly.

The next step was to pull the pastry up over the apple slice half-way, being careful that the red skin showed above the edge.  Then, beginning at the end of the strip I rolled it up, to make the rose shape.  It was a bit difficult but got easier as I worked with it.

When I'd made six of the roses, I realized that I had made them too thick.  Plus, the recipe was supposed to make a dozen roses. What I didn't understand from the video or the recipe, was that the pastry strip needed to be cut in narrower strips, long ways. When taken out of the package, the pastry strips are about four inches wide. You can see in the photo above that the strips are not to be very wide - only about two inches. (This is the photo of the second batch I made.)

So, I unrolled the six roses, cut the strips more narrow, and then re-did them.  By now, the pastry was room temperature and soft, making it difficult to work with. (sad face)

After I made them, and while they were in the oven, I had to make little tin-foil tents for each rose so they wouldn't burn.   These were added half-way through the baking time.

Aren't they pretty?



I made two batches (twenty-four total), and since I had the hang of it, the process went much faster with the second dozen.  I started these roses at about 11 a.m., and by the time I finished, it was 3 pm.  I'm sure it will go faster the next time I make them.

These are not sweet at all since the only sugar is in the preserves.  I had honey in a dish next to the platter so that they could be drizzled with more sweetness if wanted.



I think it was a perfect dish for Rosh Hashanah, and everybody liked them.  Jem and I had a couple of leftovers for breakfast the next morning, and I warmed them in the microwave.  So good with a cup of coffee.  Gail-Friends, I wish you could come over to Golden Cottage and share one with me because I'm really thankful for those who read my blog each week.   



I'm busy with preparations for Sukkot as I write this post, and am looking forward to that celebration.  We're combining a family birthday party with building the sukkah and that should be lots of fun. We're also having our synagogue celebration with Erev Shabbat this Friday night. I'll tell you all about it next week.

Here's the recipe and it includes the video, too:
 http://www.recipe30.com/apple-pastry-roses.html/

I hope your roses turn out as good as mine.

~~~








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.