Thursday, August 31, 2017

Thankful Thursday - Everything...Just Everything



As we've watched the devastating news about Hurricane Harvey this week, my heart has ached for the victims of all the floods.  I've been through many hurricanes here in Florida, but have never been through flooding. We're praying for those in Texas and Louisiana, and are preparing donations to help.  

Seeing all these people have lost has intensified my gratitude for every little thing we're blessed with. . . a roof over our heads, food to eat, clean water to drink, ice, my bed and pillow, my bathroom, my phone, my car, sunshine, hospitals, grocery stores, drug stores. . . everything . . . just everything.  

Just think of losing every thing. . . your home and everything in it, your car, employment, public transportation,communication through your cell phone.  Everything . . . just everything material that is. 

I've been encouraged to see those with faith speak of trusting in God and being thankful for their family's making it out alive.  Times like these can really bring out the best in people.   

I've also been thankful for the ones who are helping . . . rescuing victims, taking food and water to the shelters, opening businesses and churches as shelters.  I even saw a woman singing Amazing Grace in a shelter.  She said she just wanted to bring them some encouragement and comfort and to make them smile.  What a blessing, right?

Here are some other things I'm grateful for this week:

We dedicated a beautiful baby girl to Hashem at the synagogue this month (see her photo above).  Her name is Jeanette Gail.  Isn't she gorgeous?  She was really rockin' that animal print headband.



Rabbi Jem with the parents, grandparents, and Jeanette's two brothers.  Don't those two little boys look like living dolls?  Every week, they run in with arms wide open to give me and Rabbi big hugs.  I wish you could see how well behaved they are in the service.  They pay close attention to Rabbi, and when he asks a question, they answer.  They even get it right sometimes.  Their ages are three and four - amazing!  I'm thankful for parents and grandparents who teach their little ones to honor Adonai.


I spotted a beautiful, rare swallowtail in the Golden Cottage Garden, and was so thankful to have my camera.


And enjoyed the glorious blooms around Golden Pond.  Jemima Puddle Duck did, too.

the boys putting together a wooden race car

Our grandson is now wearing glasses.  He really likes them.  He said things aren't fuzzy any more.

We were thankful to see the effect of the solar eclipse in our driveway.  The crescent shapes are the sun's light filtering through the tree in our front yard.

Cool, huh?

We discovered a caterpillar on our garage door.  Our grandson inspected it closely.  About a week later, it turned into a black and gold butterfly.  Jem saw it emerge, but it happened so fast he couldn't get the camera.   Now, every time he sees a similar type butterfly he says, "I think that's him!"


It's been two weeks full of gratitude here at the Golden Cottage.  What are you thankful for this week?





Thankful Thursday is my day to focus on and be thankful for all the good things in my life.
~ ~ ~ ~
I sometimes share my posts with these friends: 

Spiritual Sundays     GRAND Social      Modest Mom Monday Link-up      The Art of Homemaking Mondays
   BLOGGING GRANDMOTHERS LINK PARTYTitus 2 Tuesday       TITUS TUESDAYS @CORNERSTONE CONFESSIONS    Share Your Cup Wednesday Wordless Wednesdays    Classical Homemaking Link-Up        Favorite Things Home and Garden Thursday at Delightsome Life  Paula's Weekend No Rules Blog Party Friendship Friday

12 comments:

  1. We can all find something to be thankful for. Precious grandbabies you have! Thank you Gail for linking up at the #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I pinned your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dee, we do and just have to focus on those things daily. I love the link party and thank you for hosting.
      Blessings

      Delete
  2. Every night before I sleep I do my gratitude list. Some things are often the same, others vary. Last night I was grateful to have a lake house (even if it's a little chilly up here this week), that my cat turned from alley cat to sweet purr girl and a good snuggler, that Rick made day two of his 400 mile cycle ride safely, that I had the time to work on my watercolors, that my nightly walk yielded a bunny sighting and so much more. Gratitude daily --no matter how big or small -- is essential to my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely list. You and I have a lot in common - we like water views, cats, nature treks, and watercolor painting. And yes, gratitude is vital to me. God speaks of it over and over again in His Word.
      Blessings

      Delete
  3. I love this post Gail. In times of trouble, it is especially important to remember the many things we have to be grateful for. Today I am grateful for a strong, healthy body and mind, my family, plentiful nutritious food and clean water, a good job, the beauty of nature, music, books... I see the list could go on and on, so I'll stop here. Thank you for the reminder to tune into my gratitude. Thanks for linking up at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your gratitudes with us, Christie.
      Blessings

      Delete
  4. I seem to be having commenting problems from my iPad. I'll try again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Gail for reminding us to always be thankful for what we have. It has been devastating for the people of Texas hasn't it? Thank you for linking up at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty and have a beautiful day x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, gratitude makes a big difference. It's a discipline that bears good, sweet fruit. Thanks for stopping by, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God has blessed us so abundantly and I'm so thankful for family, being healthy, having food to eat, clothes to wear and a warm and comfortable home. My heart goes out to all those touched by Hurricane Harvey and now Irma. Thank you Gail for sharing your lovely post with us at the #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you, and thank you for the opportunity to share at Blogging Grandmothers.

      Delete
  8. There is always something to be thankful for! Thank you for sharing at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.