Thursday, June 7, 2018

Thankful Thursday - Answered Prayers and FFF




It's Thankful Thursday, and I have so much to be thankful for.  Jem is recovering well from his retina surgery and the doctor is pleased with the results.  Praises to ADONAI and thanks to all who prayed for him.

Golden Cottage Garden is flourishing with all the rain we've had here over the past month or so.  Here are a few of our beautiful blooms.




And even though the painted and indigo buntings are gone, we still have daily visitors to brighten my day.

a thrush looking for food under the bird feeders

beautiful butterflies love Golden Cottage flowers

lizards - lots of them around here.  They are very friendly, but boy can they jump.  Now I know where the expressions "leaping lizards" comes from.  I stay back away from them because I had one jump right on the top of my head one time.  YIKES!!!!!!!!!

Look at this bad boy. . . he's HUGE!

Our neighbor's pet.  We named him "Yeller" due to his color, but also because he's a real scaredy-cat.  Not friendly like her other cat, Toon-Chee.
We had such a wonderful time at the Florida Folk Festival, and I promised you some photos from the event, so here you go:

I always enjoy the story-telling sessions.  This fun lady . . .

. . . and this gentleman are a married couple and told some tall tales to entertain us




My focus this year was learning more about the dulcimer, so I attended workshops:



I need one of these stands.









The dulcimer teacher, Laurie Alsobrook, was the best.  She also held a "petting zoo" in the children's area with twenty dulcimers for them to play.  Laurie is a great gal.  Very kind, helpful, and giving.  She even loaned me her own favorite dulcimer for this workshop.

I also attended a couple of jam sessions for dulcimer players.  Other stringed instruments joined in, too:


 We enjoyed all of the concerts by famed dulcimer artist, Bing Futch.  He's amazing and always entertaining.  His rendition of the old folk song, John Henry, was a show-stopper.  You can see his videos on YouTube.


Here's a video:



The folk dancing is always my favorite part.
This lively group did a dance with scarves.  I've seen it done in Israeli / Davidic dance, but never in folk dancing. 

This was a broom dance . . . great idea while doing housework . . . and much more fun, right?

This dance originated in the Netherlands, and the dancers wore wooden clogs.  Fun to watch and to hear.

This gentleman is at the festival every year.  I love to see him dance and admire him for continuing to practice his art even though he's missing his left arm.
I also fell in love with this lady's blouse.  I think I saw it at Cracker Barrell recently, so I'm on the hunt to find one like it.  If you've seen it anywhere, please let me know.
Here's a guy to admire!  He's not a spring chicken by any means, but I saw him limbering up before the performance, and he kicked his foot above his head several times!!!  I was amazed!  Dancing is good exercise, Gail-Friends.

The band accompanying the dancers was having a good time, and they were great!
 There were lots of beards and mustaches at the festival.  This was one of the favorites and I love the hat:

If you ever wonder what happened to the hippies from the 70's, you'll see a few of them at this festival, I'm sure.  There was lots of tye-dye, too.


It's wonderful to spend time way down upon the Suwannee River and be in the woods. This year, I was well prepared with Deet bug repellent and didn't get any ticks.  Here are some photos of the beauty in the park.  I highly recommend you attend this festival one day.  I know you'll enjoy it.

Nothing says Southern like moss-draped trees. 


I thought you'd like to see some moss up close. Don't touch it, though. It has chiggers, or redbugs as we call them down here in the South. 

Another big answer to prayer was the weather during the festival.  I prayed for good weather because a huge tropical storm was threatening to come our way.  It sprinkled a couple of times but never did rain on us.  I prayed daily, "Father, please let Your face, and Your sun, shine on us,"  and He did exactly that the whole time we were there.

On the way home from the festival, we rode along A1A and were sad to see all the damage from Hurricane Irma last fall.  I didn't take photos because it was raining, but a lot of the beach has eroded and many homes are close to falling into the sea. We stopped at a neat restaurant  in Palm Coast.  I was intrigued by these things:


All of the light fixtures were bait buckets turned upside down.  Neat, huh?
My favorite college football team -- University of Florida!  GO GATORS! CHOMP, CHOMP, CHOMP!

That's an alligator skin.  (I'd imagine an FSU fan, biggest rival of UF, would like to have one of those.  LOL)


I suddenly remembered we'd not taken any pics of us together even though we'd brought our selfie stick.  It was pouring rain, so the server took a nice pic of us.  Much better than any selfie we would have taken I'm sure.

What are you thankful for this week, Gail-Friends?

**There are some videos of the festival on YouTube to give you an idea of the different types of music performed. Just click on this  - Florida Folk Festival 2018

I sometimes share my posts with these friends:
  Spiritual Sundays  GRAND Social      Modest Mom Monday Link-up      The Art of Homemaking Mondays
   BLOGGING GRANDMOTHERS LINK PARTY     Share Your Cup Wednesday Wordless Wednesdays    Classical Homemaking Link-Up     
    Favorite Things Home and Garden Thursday at Delightsome Life  Paula's Weekend No Rules Blog Party Friendship Friday 
Sunday Thoughts Link-Up
 OVER THE MOON LINKY PARTY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.