Friday, November 15, 2019

Thankful Thursday - America's Heroes


This week, we saw the movie, Midway.  As I watched the battles between the American and Japanese fighting forces, I thanked God for our brave military members.  I'm grateful for those in the past as well as for the current members.  These brave souls were, and are, willing to lay down their lives for you and me.  Their commitment and courage are to be commended.   Every time we see a veteran, we say, "Thank you for your service." 

Jem particularly enjoyed the vintage airplanes in the movie, since he's the curator of a local warbird museum.  Both before and after, he shared volumes of information with me about the battle and the men portrayed, such as Nimitz and Doolittle. (He's not only my personal rabbi, but is also my own personal encyclopedia.) He was honored to meet Dick Cole, the last living member of the Doolittle Raiders.  I remember how excited he was to have his picture made with him that day.  Dick Cole was Jimmy Doolittle's co-pilot, and he passed away in 2018.
 
two American heroes


For Veterans Day, we attended an event honoring our local veterans.  Jem walked with the Navy vets in the parade.  It was raining, so the turnout was light, but it was a good show of support for these brave men and women.  Sorry for the blurry photos, but I was running to get ahead of the parade, plus it was drizzling rain.


That's Jem in the red t-shirt and denim jacket
God bless our veterans, and God bless the mothers and fathers who support and encourage their sons and daughters in their service to our country.  It's not easy to do.  But like Jem says, "Somebody's got to do it."  So, I'm thankful for the parents, the spouses, and the children of those who serve.  They should also be recognized and commended.  Speaking of that, I encourage you to read and share the book I recommended recently, 52 Weekly Devotions for Families Called to Serve.  The book is a blessing and a great resource for parents and grandparents. 

What are you thankful for this week, Gail-Friends?  I'd love to hear about your American heroes.

P.S.  I'll have a big announcement next week, so be sure to stop back by on Thursday.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.