Thursday, October 4, 2018

Thankful Thursday - Golden Rain


My view from the sukkah, with golden rain on the table
The golden rain was really falling heavily during Sukkot this year.  I'll share more about it (and my epiphany) later in this post.

Sukkot has come and gone, and we're celebrating Simchat Torah this week.  Here are a few photos of our sweet time in the sukkah.


Rabbi Jem and Zoe enjoying the sukkah
Rabbi Jem makes his Pampered Princess breakfast for me on Sundays.  So good.
Fans are important in the sukkah here in Florida.  So is mosquito repellant.  We had an army of ants attack the table, too.
I had to cover my cofee cup because the Golden Rain kept falling into it.
 We always cover the top of the sukkah with bamboo branches.  It's a reminder of how the Israelites traveled through the wilderness and camped in flimsy booths (sukkahs).  At night, you can look through the branches and see the stars. All of this is to reinforce that Adonai is our provider.  Just as he provided for the millions of the Jews, He will provide for us.

Golden Rain like manna from Heaven.
Golden Rain trees in the Golden Garden at Golden Cottage - and they are covered with bumblebees.

We got so much Golden Rain, we tried to cover the sukkah to keep it from falling in our food.

Amanda and family came over to help us put up the sukkah.  Then, we celebrated our grandson's 9th birthday.  He wanted a chocolate chip cake, so his GiGi made it to his specifications.  White cake with chocolate chips, white icing with chocolate chips, and vanilla chocolate chip ice cream.  Everybody said it was really, really good.

I love to see this precious face.

I'm so thankful for my daughters, their fine husbands, and my grandson.  This boy has brought us so much JOY!  I can't believe he's nine years old already.  Time flies the older I get.  The plate I'm holding says, "Thankful" and I have a heart overflowing with gratitude for these blessings.

After we eat, he always comes over and gives the cook (me) a kiss. 

I had such a sweet time in the sukkah this week.  I enjoyed it most in the early morning.  Just sitting there listening to the birds singing, the cicadas fiddling, and the bees buzzing was pure bliss.  Speaking of the bees, we have so many that it sounds like a jet taking off.  They love the golden rain trees.  As I sat in the sukkah, the sun came through the bamboo covering and made beautiful shadows on my journal page.


My daily reading in Streams In The Desert was so appropriate and encouraged my faith.  The golden rain was falling onto my page and it reminded me of the manna that Adonai provided daily.  If you look closely at the photo below, you can see a carpet of golden rain covering the grass.


My psalm of the day was Psalm 112 - and it was an answer to a prayer that very morning.

 Halleluyah!
How happy is anyone who fears Adonai,
who greatly delights in his mitzvot.
His descendants will be powerful on earth,
a blessed generation of upright people.
Wealth and riches are in his house,
and his righteousness stands forever.
To the upright he shines like a light in the dark,
merciful, compassionate and righteous.
Things go well with the person who is merciful and lends,
who conducts his affairs with fairness;
for he will never be moved.
The righteous will be remembered forever.
He will not be frightened by bad news;
he remains steady, trusting in Adonai.
His heart is set firm, he will not be afraid,
till finally he looks in triumph at his enemies.
He distributes freely, he gives to the poor;
his righteousness stands forever.
His power will be increased honorably.
10 The wicked will be angry when they see this;
they will gnash their teeth and waste away,
the desires of the wicked will come to nothing.
(CJB)

Oh, how I love it when Adonai speaks directly to me in this way.  As I was reading it and marveling, more golden rain began to fall.  It thrilled me!  And even more exciting was that a mockingbird began to sing . . . and then another!  I always say, "Mockingbirds sing at my epiphanies."  Having two of my favorite birds confirm God's message was so wonderful.



The High Holy Days have brought abundant blessings for me this year, and I'd love to hear about your celebrations.



Blessings to you, dear Gail-Friends.

**


2 comments:

  1. Hallelujah! Just discovered your site on Pinterest. I have a similar testimony about learning of our Hebrew roots! Thank you! I have a new website: ShalomShelley.com Hope you like my illustrations... and you can hear my Festivals For Everyone! music on YouTube...
    Shelley Coldren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Gail-Friends, Shelley!
      I'll drop by your sites.
      Come back Soon!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.