Friday, March 8, 2019

Sabbath Music - Standing on the Promises







This is a song I grew up with and I always enjoyed singing it.  Standing on the Promises by Alan Jackson takes me back to that little Baptist church as I hear the piano in the background.  This song always makes me remember the time when I was memorizing this Scripture:


14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: 15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.  I John 5:14-15 (KJV) 

I complained to my teacher about having to memorize Bible verses.  I've never forgotten the excited look on her face and her response:  "Oh, Gail, this is a most precious promise from God to you!  Think of it - if you pray for something that you know is His will, He will give it to you!"  

She gave me a gift that day.  As I read the Word, I learned there are many promises to believers.  Here's one of my favorites:

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 9 (KJV)

Most of His promises have conditions, such as the one above.  I have to acknowledge Him before I take off running down the path I'm thinking of.  When I seek His face about my decisions, He always gives a good outcome.  

A good meditation for Shabbat is to think about and journal the promises you've learned to trust.

What promises do you cling to, Gail-Friends?  I'd love to hear about them.

Have a good Shabbos and a good week ahead.
graphic from MiYah Music on Facebook, used by permission


 








2 comments:

  1. Love this hymn and hearing your memories about it and learning scripture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janine, both music and the Scriptures have had a profound impact on my life. So glad you stopped by and thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.