Thursday, August 22, 2019

Thankful Thursday - Birthday, Wedding, Wild Life & Goodbye Freckles




Greetings Gail-Friends.  I said Friday that I'd catch y'all up on what's been happening 'round here.  So, here you go!  This is a long post but hang in there.  It's all good!

Jem had a birthday, and we had a family celebration at the local Japanese / hibachi restaurant.

He ate it all!  I think he has a wooden leg.

This is the only pic I got of Amanda - acting goofy, of course!!!


egg juggling

setting fire to an onion

Our grandson was fascinated by the presentation, especially when the chef juggled an egg and then caught it in his hat.  On the way home, he said, "You know . . . (always our cue that a science lecture is coming) when the chef spun the egg, the centrifugal force kept it from breaking."  He's nine years old.  I'm (ahem) in my sixties, and that thought has never entered my mind.  He loves science and math and has been a part of a STEM program at the air museum where Jem works.  He was in a class of teenagers and amazed them, as well as the adults, with his knowledge and grasp of all things science.  As a matter of fact, I think that's all he ever thinks about.  We love that boy!


My life is on a new path of GOOD HEALTH!  No, I've not been sick.  Just becoming more determined to stay strong and healthy.  Every day I pray for Rabbi and me to be like Moses -- with clear vision and strength.  My prayer is based on this verse:

  Moshe was 120 years old when he died, 
with eyes undimmed
 and vigor undiminished. 
(Deuteronomy 34:7) 



I've been following the Trim Healthy Mama way of eating and have lost about ten pounds since the first of July.  I'm also exercising and I feel FABULOUS!  Here's my schedule:  Monday and Wednesday - water exercise, then on Tuesday and Thursday, I work with weight machines at the gym.  I've not been exercising on the weekends, but that's going to change.  Not exercising for three days is not working for me.  I get stiff, Gail-Friends!  So, I think I'll start walking on those days.  Rebounding on my mini-trampoline is also an option for rainy days.

Last weekend, Jem and I walked at a local mall.  It's so hot here that mall walking is very popular in our small town.  I love combining air-conditioned walking with window shopping.  What's not to like, right?  Although I do have to repeat over and over to myself, "I don't need that."

My clutter cleanout has continued.  Every week, I fill a bag with no-longer-needed stuff and give it away.  Ahhhh. It feels so good.

Golden Cottage Garden and Pond are getting a daily soaking with the afternoon rains.  Thank You, Father!  Here's how lush it has grown:


Look at that bird feeder with the cardinal.  That is the BEST bird feeder EVER!  I got it at Walmart and I love it so much I bought a second one.  The reason?  The squirrels don't like it.  So -- no more waste of seeds.  Thank you, Father!

Here's some more beauty from the garden.  Isn't God's creativity awe-inspiring?  I'm so thankful for flowers.






While on a bird drive, I snapped a few photos of some raccoons we saw near the ranger station in the wildlife preserve.  We first saw the two little ones playing, then one of them headed over toward a cat lying in the grass.  I thought there would be a confrontation, but it didn't happen.  The cat kept still, the raccoon sniffed him and then ambled off into the bushes.  Maybe they are buddies.  It was fun watching them.



While crossing the causeway to the island, we saw this family of wild pigs.  They were really close to the highway but weren't bothered at all by the noise.  Must have been some extra good food they were rooting for, huh?




Later that same day, I caught this great blue heron enjoying a moment of quiet meditation by the lake at a local park.







We had another wedding at the synagogue and a lovely one it was, too!



My prayer for Nacoma and Amanda is that they will be as happy for the rest of their marriage as on the day they wed.

I love this watermelon idea at the reception:




Nacoma's daughter insisted she wanted to go home and spend the night with us, so we (very happily) said a big YES!  We had so much fun doing girl-stuff like make-up, hair, and staying up all night! The next day, Jem took her to the air museum (while I slept) for a tour and bought her an airline stewardess Barbie doll.  We had fun with that, too.  We love that little girl.

She got a little carried away with the eyebrows, though!

I saved the sad part of the catch-up for last.  Freckles, the cat we took in when his family moved away has never gotten over losing them.  They couldn't have a cat where they moved, and since he was an outside cat, we welcomed him to Golden Cottage, along with his pal Toonie.  Freckles never adjusted the way Toonie has.  He cried a lot, and kept laying by their house instead of ours.  I know he was grieving his old family.  So, I contacted his former owner and told her he wasn't doing well.  She was so heartbroken.  The next day, she called and said she had a relative who was going to let Freckles come to live at her house.  Since their new place is near the relative's, they can go over and visit and love on him.  I know that will make him happy.  We sure do miss him though.




Toonie is still in ICU, but his nose is almost completely healed.  He's happy as a clam, so we might just let him stay there.  He's the most laid-back, loving cat I've ever seen.  We're so thankful he's happy here at Golden Cottage.






Well, that's the news from Golden Cottage.  I hope you have lots to be thankful for this week.  I'd love to hear about it.  

Blessings and have a good week.

~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.