Friday, August 30, 2019

Thankful Thursday - Psalm 91 - My Hurricane Psalm


A big storm is coming, so today we, and all of Florida, are preparing for Hurricane Dorian.  I'm praying, too, and I'm believing Adonai will hear my prayers for Him to steer the storm to the east.  It's a monster storm as of Thursday evening and we already have plenty of supplies because we stay ready.

We did go to Aldi to get a few items, and I snapped this photo:


That whole cold case was empty except for the salad.  I laughed.  People have their priorities!  And during a hurricane, I guess salad isn't high on the list.  It is on mine, and I'm well stocked!  Be sure to check out my past posts, photos, and tips for going through hurricanes HERE.

I've been through many hurricanes in my long life here in Florida.  The first was Hurricane Dora in 1964, which was a category 3.  I was a teenager and remember the high winds and the eerie silence when the eye passed over our house.  The next day, our yard and street were flooded almost up to the front door.  Thanks be to Adonai, we had no major damage.

I'll never forget 2004, which was my most serious experience with hurricanes because I went through three   I survived Charlie, Frances and Jean.  On August 13, Charlie came in on Florida's west coast as a category 4, but weakened as it headed toward the east coast.  No damage and no loss of power for me, praise Adonai!   He left behind lots of debris in my yard that got piled up for the trash truck to pick up.  The pick-up was delayed because there was so much for them to pick up in our area.  I was having an engagement party for my daughter, Amanda, and kept praying (and believing) the pick-up would be gone by the party.  It was HUGE!  Praise Hashem, they picked it up the morning of the party!  Haleluyah!

Hurricane Frances, a category 2, came next -- THREE WEEKS LATER!  She hit our coast with 80 mph winds, so it was serious. Thankfully, winds had diminished from 105.  We got 15 inches of rain from old Frances and she left behind terrible destruction. Once again, I had no damage...only yard debris,  and did not lose power.

And then, THREE WEEKS LATER, Hurricane Jeanne hit as a category 3.  I'll never forget it.  I was at work, and someone told us to go home because another hurricane was headed our way!  Thankfully, I had left my storm shutters up from Frances' visit.  Jeanne was a bad one and did great damage to our coast.  Amazingly, I had no damage and did not lose power. Lots of debris was left behind, though.

We were threatened by Hurricane Ivan during that month, too, but thankfully it passed us by.  I was prepared for it, though, because I left those hurricane shutters up through November which is the end of hurricane season.

Jem, however, has been through two catastrophic hurrcanes before we were married - Ivan in 2004, and Katrina in 2005.  Katrina was the worst.  He was living in Alabama at the Magee Farm / Museum, where he was curator.  The house was 100 years old, and withstood the storm like a champ.  No damage and no problems.  Haleluyah!

I give all the praise to Adonai for his protection and provision.  He was with me all the way.  I was single at the time, and my future son-in-love came both times to help me put storm shutters on my windows.  I'm so thankful for William.

In 2016, we went through Hurricane Matthew, which was a category 3 that rode north on our coast.  There was a lot of damage to our area, but we praise Adonai that He was with us.  Because the storm hovered twenty miles off our coast, the damage was not nearly what it could have been.  We were so blessed once again  not to have any serious damage and only lost power for a few hours.  Our wonderful son-in-love loaned us a generator, but by the time Jem and he got it set up, the electricity came back on.  Haleluyah!  We did lose enough shingles to get a new roof paid for by our insurance company.  Thankfully, we did not have any leaks.  That was a big blessing, really, because the roof was due for replacement.  Another big Haleluyah!

Through each and every hurricane, I prayed for God to protect all in this area.  I also meditated on Psalm 91, which I call my hurricane psalm.  Hashem is so good and faithful to provide us with comfort in times of peril.  I'm thankful for the peace I've felt in the midst of every single one of the storms I've been through.  I know His shield of protection covers me and I can rest easy.

So, if you're going through Hurricane Dorian, or any other storm, this psalm is for you:

 1 You who live in the shelter of ‘Elyon,
who spend your nights in the shadow of Shaddai,
2
who say to Adonai, “My refuge! My fortress!
My God, in whom I trust!” —
3
he will rescue you from the trap of the hunter
and from the plague of calamities;
4
he will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his truth is a shield and protection.
You will not fear the terrors of night
or the arrow that flies by day,
6
or the plague that roams in the dark,
or the scourge that wreaks havoc at noon.
7
A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand;
but it won’t come near you.
8
Only keep your eyes open,
and you will see how the wicked are punished.
9
For you have made Adonai, the Most High,
who is my refuge, your dwelling-place.
10
No disaster will happen to you,
no calamity will come near your tent;
11
for he will order his angels to care for you
and guard you wherever you go.
12
They will carry you in their hands,
so that you won’t trip on a stone.
13
You will tread down lions and snakes,
young lions and serpents you will trample underfoot.
14
“Because he loves me, I will rescue him;
because he knows my name, I will protect him.
15
He will call on me, and I will answer him.
I will be with him when he is in trouble.
I will extricate him and bring him honor.
16
I will satisfy him with long life
and show him my salvation.”

Blessings and have a good week.  Let me know if I can pray for you.

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.