Sunday, December 21, 2014

8 Days of Chanukah - Day 6


This post is a part of the series 8 Days of Chanukah.

Tonight is the sixth night of Chanukah, and so we light the sixth candle of the menorah.
Food is big part of most Jewish holidays.  One of the things I love to make is my menorah dip, which has evolved over the years.  This is great on crackers, but also makes a great sandwich spread, especially on rye bread.

Here's my recipe:

2 8 oz packages of cream cheese
2 cans of water-packed tuna, drained (you could also use one large can of salmon)
2 tsp smoke flavoring (this makes the tuna taste like smoked salmon...and it's cheaper, too)

1 small bag frozen asparagus, steamed
1 jar of pimientos
1 small yellow pepper
1 jar of large olives
1/2 bag of sliced almonds

Combine the first three ingredients till smooth.  Spread the mixture into a circle shape on a plate  

Sprinkle the almonds over the circle and press them in with your hands.  Surround the circle with olives.

I used frozen asparagus to make the menorah.  I steamed it in the microwave till slightly soft.  Don't cook it too long or it will lose the bright green color. 

The flames are made from the pimientos in a jar.  I cut one in strips about 1/4 inch wide and then in 2 inch pieces to make the flame shape.  For the yellow part, I took a fresh yellow pepper and cut  a piece in 1/4 inch wide strips and then in 1/2 to 1 inch pieces. 


This is easy, and a real crowd pleaser, both in taste and in the "wow" factor.  Everybody is always impressed!  

Tomorrow, I'll share how we decorate for Chanukah.

************
I'm linking up today with:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.