Thursday, May 23, 2019

Thankful Thursday - Cheeseburgers


Yes, I'm very, very thankful for cheeseburgers. Why? Because a cheeseburger brought Jem and me together.  If not for a cheeseburger, we might not be married today.  Let me explain . . .

In 1967, I was a sixteen-year-old high school student and he was a twenty-year-old U.S. Navy sailor.  His friend and fellow sailor, Okie, wanted Jem to go roller skating with him one weekend.  Jem didn't want to go.  He said, "I'm going into town and get a cheeseburger, fries and a Coke."

Okie said, "Look, buddy, I really need your help.  There's this girl at the skating rink I want to talk to, but her friend is always with her.  I need you to keep the friend busy so we can get together."

Jem said, "Ok. I'll do it, but you have to buy me a cheeseburger, fries, and a Coke."

My friend, Glenda, was Okie's love interest, and I was the friend Jem kept busy that night.  So, you see, our great love story began with a cheeseburger!

I was thinking about that on Monday, which was our thirteenth wedding anniversary.  I got the romantic idea to buy Jem a cheeseburger, fries, and a Coke and take it to him at work.  So, I went by Wendy's, bought him a double combo, and attached this card to the bag:



He loved it, being the romantic guy that he is.  His co-workers loved it, too, and enjoyed hearing our love story.  I've been working on writing that story, and decided I've found the perfect title --  It All Started With a Cheeseburger.   God told me TWICE that day (VERY CLEARLY) that the time has come to finish that book. So, Gail-Friends, you'll be hearing about it here.

We started celebrating our anniversary on Friday.  I mentioned to Jem, who always gives me fresh flowers, that I'd like a plant instead.  He had just given me this beautiful fresh flower bouquet for Mother's Day:


So, I told him about a plant I'd seen at Walmart that was a great deal for just $17.99.  Later in the day, he went there and bought it for me.



I was so excited to get it -- until he said I'd made a mistake about the price.  It wasn't $17.99.  It was $55.00.  Being an extremely frugal girl, I almost choked.  He assured me that I was worth it . . . and much more.  Don't I have the BEST husband in the whole wide world?  You'd have to know what my life was like to understand why I'm so thankful for him.  That will be explained in the book.

For our anniversary dinner, we went to a Japanese steak house.  It was delicious and we enjoyed the hibachi chef's antics and banter  We left there happy and stuffed!  I took pictures of us looking stuffed, with puffed out cheeks and all, but he made me promise not to let anybody see them.  I agree with him.  They're funny, but . . . not something you want "out there."

Another thing I'm thankful for this week is hair color.  As you can see in the photo above, I have a different color now.  Aren't we blessed to be able to do this?  I've been grey for a few years and decided I wanted to make a change.  My natural hair color (before it began to grey) was a dark brown, but I thought I'd give warm brown a try.  Next time, I think I'll go red!   I found some great temporary highlighting color at the Dollar Tree and added some bronze streaks.  I love it!





I had a ball looking through all of the hair color products at Walmart.  There are so many temporary colors to try.  I doubt I'll do green or purple . . . but ya never know!

Blessings to you all, Gail-Friends, and I'd love to hear what you're thankful for this week.

I sometimes share my posts with these friends:

2 comments:

  1. I too told my husband I'd prefer he planted something instead of cut flowers and he's been doing this for several years now on our anniversary and mother's day or my birthday. This year he went for a certain on sale plant, but they were sold out. He too then went for a more mature plant at triple the price. Mentally I had the same reaction as you, but he wanted to make sure I had it on our anniversary, and it looks so nice where he planted it! I'm glad he went ahead and did it, even though we had agreed on no gifts this year! So it was a double surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving, caring husbands are such a wonderful blessing. Sounds like you have a good one.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.