Thursday, May 16, 2019

Thankful Thursday - Golden Cottage Happenings



Greetings, Y'all

I'll try to catch up on what's been happening 'round here lately.  I haven't been posting a lot due to still struggling with my injured wrist.  It's doing much better now that I've seen an orthopedic doctor and started occupational therapy. The brace he put me in helps tremendously.  But typing is impossible with it on, so I've been limiting my typing time.



In March, we celebrated my youngest daughter's birthday.  She's got her "love" glasses on.  I won't tell you how old she is 'cause she can get away with a whole lot less.  Isn't she beautiful?


 Early April, we went to the Barberville Spring Frolic.  I attended the mountain dulcimer workshop taught by Laurie Allsbrook .   I met her at the Florida Folk Festival and she's a great teacher.


While visiting one of the vendor booths, Jem fell in love with this instrument.  It's called a bowed psaltery.  He doesn't read music, but it's made with numbers and song sheets with tabbed music.  He has diligently practiced and is getting really good .  He even played for our Passover seder last month.



I love visiting with the peacocks at Barberville.  Here's the female:



And here's the male.  Isn't he gorgeous?


I helped my friend and writing critique partner, Peggy, with an author event in April, too.  It was a smashing success and well attended.  She's a very funny and entertaining speaker.


This book event was a tea party, and every person had a unique teacup.  This one is the pattern of my grannie's dime-store dishes which I wrote about in the book Christmas Moments. 



Betty, the lovely lady in the peach blouse above is one of my writing critique partners, too.   Betty, Peggy, Fay and I meet once a month to critique each other's writing.  It's such a loving group and so helpful.  God sure blessed me when he put us together.  I prayed for writing partners who were believers and good editors.  Both Peggy and Betty are former English teachers, and Fay is an editor.  Isn't God good???

We took a couple of bird rides over the last few months and here are some good shots:


The big bird is a great blue heron, and the other is a roseate spoonbill.


This is a young rosey because its pink feathers are not fully developed.

 

In this photo you can see why they're called spoonbills.  They run their bills along the bottom of the lagoon and scoop up their food.  I love seeing and photographing them.

I got some good shots in Golden Cottage Garden, too.  I love this one of a daddy feeding his baby.


We feed the adopted cats outside my office window, and discovered that the birds love cat food, too.


Like blue jays . . .

and woodpeckers.

My friend, Barbara, told me about a new squirrel-proof bird feeder.  Well, this guy figured it out pretty quick.  He hangs upside down and sticks his hand in for the seed.


Those fluffy-tailed rats are wiley.  Look at this guy caught in the act.  Doesn't he look guilty?


Here are a couple of things that amused me.



I agree, especially when my loving Jem makes it for me in the morning.  I'm so thankful for him . . . his love . . . AND coffee.  Oh, and CHOCOLATE . . . I'm SO, SO, SO thankful for chocolate.  Next week I'll share my recipe for sugar-free chocolate candy.  It's yummy and healthy, too.


Well, that catches me up, and I leave you with a pic of a golden sunset at Golden Cottage Garden.



What are you thankful for this week? 











1 comment:

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.