Monday, November 19, 2012

Gratitude - Day 7 - Health

Health is a beautiful gift

My Jamaican friend, Carmita Polson, taught me to pray this way: "Thank You, Father, that I can see, and hear, and walk, and talk, and think, and that I have strength to work for You."  She taught me this twenty years ago, when I was younger and healthy.  I didn't fully appreciate this prayer until the last few years

Eighteen months ago, I had a total hip replacement.  This, after I suffered increasingly intense pain over a period of two years.  A fall down a flight of stairs caused injury to my hip I was not immediately aware had occurred.  When taken to the emergency room, my only injury appeared to be to my left leg, which thankfully was not broken although it appeared to be.  The worst injury was to my right hip, due to my twisting my body in an effort to avoid falling.  I didn't become aware of a problem until many months later.

Over a period of time, my ability to walk and do many other activities become limited due to the pain in my hip.  Toward the time of my surgery, I had lost the ability to walk without a cane or walker.  During those months of pain, which very heavy narcotics did not even touch, I grew very grateful for the ability to walk.  I had taken it for granted up to that point.

During recovery after my surgery, I went to Walmart and decided I'd try a motorized cart.  What an eye-opening experience.  I found that I was evidently invisible to the people around me.  Why?  Because no one gave grace to my handicapped state.  No one waited for me to get by in the aisle, but just kept going like I wasn't there.  This disturbed me because I was reared to notice others in need around me no matter where I am.  Well, it didn't happen for me, so I determined to be even more kind to those who are impaired in some way, including the elderly...especially since I am going to be a part of that crowd soon.   

Going through the experience of being handicapped taught me lessons for which I am grateful.  I don't take it for granted that I can walk, and I thank G-d for that ability, especially since I walk now without pain.   Also, going through major surgery and having to rebuild my strength made me aware of what a gift and blessing strength is. I also had to depend on my husband and others to do things I had taken for granted being able to do alone before.  How thankful, I am for him and others who helped me during those months. 

I don't know if most people take their health for granted, but I certainly did, having been very healthy all of my life.  The experience also taught me to give grace to those in pain.  There were times when I didn't want to talk or socialize because of the pain.  There were times I gave in to crankiness and was short tempered with those around me.  I learned that sometimes people are just having a bad day and to look over it.  You never know what people are going through.

My gratitude mentor, Carmita, would be pleased I think, to know that I learned her lesson well on being grateful for health and strength. Losing them for a time was a very humbling experience and taught me gratitude. 

Thank you, Father, for health.  What a wonderful gift it is.

I'm linking up today with:
Monday Musings
Sharing His Beauty
Monday Meet Up

1 comment:

  1. A heart of gratitude in all things isn't easy. But a thankful heart in the worst of situations brings the most glory to our Heavenly daddy! What a reflection of grace and beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.