Friday, October 4, 2013

31 Days of His Wisdom - Day 4 - The Tree of Life




This 31 day series will focus on the things I learned from Proverbs, as well as some things from Torah study, and will add in a sprinkling of what I've learned from Judaism. 


Today's reading is Proverbs 4, and verses 20-22 speak to my heart.

 My son, pay attention to what I am saying;
incline your ear to my words.
 Don’t let them out of your sight,
keep them deep in your heart;
for they are life to those who find them
and health to their whole being.

Each week when we parade the Torah around the synagogue, we keep our eyes on it and do not turn our backs on it.  This is a tangible reminder not to let them out of our sight and to keep them deep in our hearts.


The Word of Adonai is life giving.  Judaism compares the Torah to a Tree of Life.  We are instructed to keep it before our eyes.  We have several trees on the walls of our synagogue as reminders.  




The signs say, "Etz  Chayim" - The Torah is a Tree of Life (in Hebrew and English).


Let's not miss the last part of verse 22 - "The Torah is health to their whole being".  Meditating on and obeying Torah affects our minds, which in turn affects our health.

Who knew?  I do now, because it has happened in my life.  I used to be a very fearful person, but studying Torah changed me.  Reading through the Torah yearly reminds me of G-d's faithfulness, provision, and protection.

I have nothing to fear when I am obedient to Him.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Each time I read through Proverbs, something different jumps out at me.  This is ADONAI quickening His Word to my heart.  

As I go through this month of studying Proverbs, I hope you'll join me and read the chapter, too.  I'll share what stands out to me for that day.  

I'd love for you to share something He shows you through the day's reading. 
I'll be linking these posts to the 31 Days event at The Nester

 I will be posting daily through October 31.  To read the posts, just go to the Labels section on the left, and click on "31 Days of His Wisdom".






2 comments:

  1. I like verse 22 also, and following it: "Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life." As I read the chapter today another one stood out to me considering the things going on in our country right now. Verse 18 says, "But the path of the just is like the shining sun, that shines ever brighter unto the perfect day." The Lord has a bright path for us to walk.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.