Saturday, October 5, 2013

31 Days of His Wisdom - Day 5 - The Sabbath


Shabbat Shalom



Shabbat shalom.  I hope your Sabbath was filled with peace and rest.  Mine began last evening with our Erev Shabbat service at the synagogue, and was spent today in worship, prayer, and in enjoying my backyard.  The days are cooler now, here in Central Florida, and sitting on my patio this morning was perfectly wonderful.

The chapter of the day, Proverbs 5, begins with the wise advice in verses one and two:

 My son, pay attention to my wisdom;
incline your ear to my understanding;
so that you will preserve discretion
and your lips keep watch over knowledge.


 The chapter ends with the reflection:

 For Adonai is watching a man’s ways;
he surveys all his paths.
22 A wicked person’s own crimes will trap him,
he will be held fast by the ropes of his sin.
23 He will die from lack of discipline;
the magnitude of his folly will make him totter and fall.

Do you ever think about verse 21?  Do you realize G-d is watching every thing you do?  He sees everything, and nothing is hidden from His sight.  My view of G-d has changed over the years related to this piece of wisdom. 

As a five-year-old child, I thought of G-d as a lightening bolt that would strike me if I did something wrong.  Over the years, that concept has evolved into the recognition of His loving attention to my ways and paths.  He watches me the way a loving father attends to a beloved son.  He has my best interest at heart, and lovingly guides me with my highest good in mind.

Observing the Sabbath is part of His highest good.  I love spending the day in rest, reading,  and sometimes writing. Watching the birds and butterflies in my backyard always renews my strength and spirit.  Meditating on his provision for the many birds that visit reminds me that He will provide me, too.

Sometimes on the Sabbath, my husband and I visit a nearby wildlife refuge and drive along the lagoon, observing the birds, fish and other critters in abundance.  Last weekend, we thought we saw a bear, but it turned out to be a wild mama hog and her two young ones. Being out in G-d's creation and seeing the beauty of His world always refreshes us.

Our two favorite sayings are, "We live in paradise" and "Every day is precious".  Every day and every moment, really, are gifts.  So is the Sabbath, and I thank G-d for His special day of rest.

 ^^^^^^^^^^^

Each time I read through Proverbs, something different jumps out at me.  This is ADONAI quickening His Word to my heart.  

As I go through this month of studying Proverbs, I hope you'll join me and read the chapter, too.  I'll share what stands out to me for that day.  

I'd love for you to share something He shows you through the day's reading. 
I'll be linking these posts to the 31 Days event at The Nester


This 31 day series will focus on the things I learned from Proverbs, as well as some things from Torah study, and will add in a sprinkling of what I've learned from Judaism. 

I will be posting daily through October 31.  To read the posts, just go to the Labels section on the left, and click on "31 Days of His Wisdom".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.