Thursday, October 17, 2013

31 Days of His Wisdom - Day 17 - A Happy Heart

source Microsoft Office.com


Proverbs 17 is so full of good advice about people.  I could write a book on the wisdom found in this chapter, but I'll just focus on these three verses.

19 Those who love quarreling love giving offense;
    those who make their gates tall are courting disaster.
20 A crooked-hearted person will find nothing good,
    and the perverse of speech will end in calamity.
 22 A happy heart is good medicine,
    but low spirits sap one’s strength.

Have you ever been around someone who saps your strength?  I know someone who is perfectly described by these verses.  I have often said, "She makes lemons out of lemonade."  

People like this are hard to be around.  They whine, complain, find fault, quarrel, fight, and can find nothing good.  Their mouth is always turned down.  "Woe is me," is their motto.   

Pay attention to what the verse 19 says, "those who make their gates tall are courting disaster."  This refers to the way walls are built in the Middle East.  The walls are tall to protect, and the gates are made short for the same reason.  If the gates are small, a man on a horse cannot come through.  If the gate is low, he must bend down to enter.  This gives one time to discern his intent.  Is he a friend or a foe?

Wisdom says to be cautious about who you let into your life, your team, your employment, and even your house of worship.  Observe them carefully.  Make note of their attitudes, because their speech will reveal if they will bring calamity (trouble, problems, strife).  

If you study and accept the teachings of Proverbs (and Torah on which they are based), you will develop discernment.  You will recognize and avoid fools and the calamity they bring.  

One other word of wisdom, correcting a person like this one (a fool) will show you even more the state of their heart.  They will become highly offended and call you a judge.  Or, they will act like you never said it, and keep on doing it.  Or, they will decide you're not their kind of people and move on.   Why?  Because they are fools and they despise wisdom (G-d's ways).  

Verse 22 says, "happiness is good medicine." As with any medicine, you have to take it. I have to choose to be happy.  I can get my soul in a happy state very easily by praising and thanking ADONAI for the blessings and beauty all around me.   That's better than any medicine you can buy. This song, is my favorite for keeping my focus on Him:




^^^^^^^^^^^^



Quotations are from The Complete Jewish Bible
Each time I read through Proverbs, something different jumps out at me.  This is ADONAI quickening His Word to my heart.  

As I go through this month of studying Proverbs, I hope you'll join me and read the chapter, too.  I'll share what stands out to me for that day.  

I'd love for you to share something He shows you through the day's reading. 
I'll be linking these posts to the 31 Days event at The Nester


This 31 day series will focus on the things I learned from Proverbs, as well as some things from Torah study, and will add in a sprinkling of what I've learned from Judaism. 

I will be posting daily through October 31.  To read the posts, just go to the Labels section on the left, and click on "31 Days of His Wisdom".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.