Sunday, October 13, 2013

31 Days of His Wisdom - Day 13 - Discernment


source - Microsoft Office
source - Microsoft Office

 

Proverbs 13 is a  study in contrasts.  Each verse show the contrast between the fool and the wise.  I use the Complete Jewish Bible and each verse uses the word "but" to show the difference between the two ways of life.  A page with two columns helps me study this and see it in a more practical and applicable way.  Let's do it on a few of the verses that jump out at me today:

Verse      Fool                                          Wise
 1          doesn't listen to rebuke               heeds discipline 
 2          violent speech / drama                enjoys good / peace
 3          talks too much/ has trouble         guards his mouth/has peace
 4          lazy /lacks provision                   works/ needs are met
 20        friends are fools/suffering           friends are wise / become more wise

Studying the passages this way helps me recognize sin in my self.  When I recognize myself in any of these verses, I repent, and ask forgiveness.

The verses in this chapter are also useful in developing discernment about people around us - at school, at work, in our places of worship, even in our own families.  It is wise to avoid fools.  Pray for them, but avoid them until they are open to wisdom.

It is important to recognize these traits in our children, as they can show up early.  Beginning to work with them quickly and diligently can help them avoid destructive relationships and activities, and help them build a good life for the future.  I encourage all our young families to study Proverbs with their children daily. 

Knowing the difference between the foolish and wise is better than any psychological study or method I've ever seen.  There is great wisdom in Proverbs, and I could have avoided many problems in my life by knowing these truths.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Each time I read through Proverbs, something different jumps out at me.  This is ADONAI quickening His Word to my heart.  

As I go through this month of studying Proverbs, I hope you'll join me and read the chapter, too.  I'll share what stands out to me for that day.  

I'd love for you to share something He shows you through the day's reading. 
I'll be linking these posts to the 31 Days event at The Nester


This 31 day series will focus on the things I learned from Proverbs, as well as some things from Torah study, and will add in a sprinkling of what I've learned from Judaism. 

I will be posting daily through October 31.  To read the posts, just go to the Labels section on the left, and click on "31 Days of His Wisdom".

1 comment:

  1. I'm copying your list of "fool" and "wise" and posting it on my teen's bulletin board I keep in their bathroom. Not a great place for scripture, but it's where they stand for long times drying hair and it will get their attention. Thanks for putting it in a clear and plain format - for us all, not just teenagers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.