Wednesday, October 9, 2013

31 Days of Wisdom - Day 9 - Correction



This passage in Proverbs 9 speaks to me today:

“He who corrects a scoffer only gets insulted;
reproving a wicked man becomes his blemish.
If you reprove a scoffer, he will hate you;
if you reprove a wise man, he will love you.
Give to a wise man, and he grows still wiser;
teach a righteous man, and he will learn still more.

Have you ever had to correct someone who was going down the wrong road?  Someone living in sin even though they claim to be a follower of G-d?  Or have you ever been corrected yourself?  I have been in both positions.

As a young (foolish) woman, I had an older, wise woman come to me and tell me that the path I was on was wrong.  I didn't listen, and I reaped the consequences of neglecting her counsel.

Now, as an older woman, G-d has placed me in a position to lead and counsel the younger women in our synagogue.  I pray about this diligently...or so fervently and carefully.  I study the Scriptures, and I seek G-d's face and counsel about how to do this.  It is a very difficult thing to confront someone about their sin.

I have experienced what the verses referenced above describe.  I have received severe insults and hatred from some women when I've counseled them about sin.  I have become the evil one in their eyes.  I've been called a "judge".  I've been rejected because of standing for what G-d 's Word says.  When this happens, it breaks my heart, and I weep for them because they are determined to walk the path of the fool.

On the other hand,  I have reproved some women, who take the correction with gratitude.  Their heart's desire is to please G-d and to obey Him.  They go on to learn further wisdom.

This passage is important, beloved.  As believers, we are all responsible to take the truth to those around us.  Their reaction to the truth will tell us where they stand....whether they are wise or foolish. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.